Daylilies for Descanso Gardens
Daylily ( Hemerocallis ). is a clumping perennial.
It can grow up to four feet tall, depending on variety.
It blooms for a long period during spring through summer, forming
flushes of new blooms daily.
Many hybrids are available in shades of red, orange, yellow, white,
lavender or purple.
These look good planted in drifts, or can be used in borders or in containers.
They spread slowly, but are not invasive
They attract butterflies.
- Location: Plant in full sun.
- Soil: They like well-drained, moist soil.
- Water: Water freely from spring until buds start developing
then let the soil dry out between waterings, and provide deep
Reduce water in late fall to encourage winter dormancy.
- PROPAGATION: They transplant easily from home-grown or purchased half
gallon pots and are best transplanted in spring.
Divide plants when they are crowded (three or four years) and replant
- SOURCES: Local nurseries and mail order sources.
- ORGANIZATIONS: Look for more about daylilies.
Check out the
American Hemerocallis Society.
Return to your spot in the
yellow flower list
Go to the top