Descanso Garden Club
Delphiniums for Descanso Gardens
Delphinium is an upright perennial with a showy spike of blooms.
Many choices are available in shades of blue, white, lavender and purple.
There are even a few species with red or yellow blossoms.
These do very well in a border or as a focal point in a large cluster or bed.
There are a few shorter selections that do well in rock gardens.
The foliage may irritate skin.
- Location: Plant in full sun providing shelter from the wind.
- Soil: Delphinium likes fertile, well-drained soil.
- Water: Water freely while plant is growing.
Reduce water in late fall to encourage winter dormancy.
- Pruning: Regularly cut spent flower spikes back to a leaf node
to allow developing flower shoots to grow.
- Seasonal care:
Provide support for tall flower spikes after growth starts in spring.
Cut back dead stalks and leaves after growth dies back.
- PROPAGATION: Delphiniums may be started from seed in early spring.
You can also make basal cuttings after growth begins in spring.
Long, hot summers and dry climates may cause some wilt.
Regular watering and part shade may help.
- SOURCES: Armstrong Nursery usually provides perennial six-pacs in
early December. Larger plants from local nurseries and mail order sources.
Return to your spot in the
blue flower list
Go to the top