Honeysuckle for Descanso Gardens
Honeysuckle (Lonicera) is usually a climber, but some species are
shrubs. There are at least 180 species growing all over the northern
Most commonly found in local nurseries is L.japonica, which has fragrant
yellow, cream or pink flowers in spring.
Seeds may cause stomach ache if eaten.
Some species may be invasive in Descanso.
- Location: Full sun.
- Soil: Fertile, humus rich, well drained.
Provide deep water periodically.
- Pruning: Cut back shrubby growth to keep plant in check.
- Honeysuckle may be started from seed in fall.
Plant in a flat or protected seedbed.
Lift and plant into containers when roots and sprouts form.
Protect until the plants become well settled.
- Plant purchased or homegrown five-gallon containers.
- They can also be started from greenwood cuttings or layered
in early summer.
- Local nurseries;
Mail order sources.
Return to your spot in the
Go to the top